Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services on the 1st floor of Robarts Library, 130 St. George St.

Completing a graduate degree can be extremely taxing, and students should be careful not to create unnecessary stresses or difficulties for themselves.  If you require accommodations or have any accessibility concerns, or even if you suspect that issues may come in the course of your studies, it’s very important that you contact U of T’s Accessibility Services as soon as possible.

Accessibility Services provides students with a documented disabilities (be it physical, sensory, a learning disability or a mental health condition) with temporary or long-term support.  The University of Toronto is committed to accessibility; however, these services can be more difficult to obtain if an issue arises and no prior documentation exists, so students should be proactive in contacting the organization.

Athletics on Campus

Included in your tuition fees are memberships to two athletic facilities on campus:

The Athletic Centre at 55 Harbord St.

The Athletic Centre has swimming pools, tennis and squash quarts, a weight room, a 200-metre track, aerobics classes, and more. Locker rentals are very reasonable (approx. $8/month) and include towel service. You can check out the many different athletic programs (such as gymnastics, swimming, and running clubs) at their website.

Hart House at 7 Hart House Circle

The Hart House gym is located in the basement of Hart House and has excellent athletic facilities, with a smaller and more relaxed atmosphere (although it is bereft of air conditioning in all but certain rooms). The pool has been recently renovated, and up-to-date Nautilus machines and Stairmasters have been added to the gym facilities. Rental lockers are available, but be sure to bring money for the towel service. Both athletic facilities offer a wide variety of classes, from yoga to ballroom dancing, for which there may be extra charges.

Health Services

Located at 214 College St. in the Koffler Centre

These on-campus medical services include psychiatry (even group therapy for stressed out graduate students) and physiotherapy.  For more information:

Also, ask for information on the prescription plan: you can receive an 80% rebate on prescriptions as a graduate student. See the GSU brochure for more info, or go to the GSU website.

International Student Centre

Located at 33 St. George St.

The International Student Centre deals with non–academic concerns and puts out a monthly newsletter. They also sponsor a number of social events for foreign students, such as barbecues, parties and excursions. If you need information about the UHIP insurance package, call the ISC for details. The GSU also has a Visa students’ committee that handles academic problems for foreign students, independent of our own GEA Visa committee.

Women’s Centre

Located at 563 Spadina, Room 100

The Women’s Centre coordinates a variety of services and events for women at the University of Toronto.

Family Care Office

Located at Koffler Centre, 214 College St.

The Family Care Office can provide information on childcare, elder care, and other family resources, in addition to confidential counseling, free clinics, and support groups.