As a CUPE 3902 member with a TAship of more than 50 hours, you are eligible for a Health Care Spending Account, coverage which can be coordinated with the GSU plan (if applicable). See CUPE 3902’s health benefits FAQ here for information about the plan and how to submit a claim.

Note that to make a claim to the HCSA, you must have “worked” at least 50 hours of your TA contract. So, for example, if your contract is for 200 hours from September 1 to December 31, you would technically have “worked” 50 hours by the end of September, regardless of how much marking, emailing or teaching you may have actually done.

To submit a claim to the CUPE 3902 Health Care Spending Account, you need to have your personnel number. Your personnel number is different from your student number, since it is a unique identifier assigned to you as an employee of the University of Toronto, rather than as a student. You can find your personnel number at the bottom of
your paystubs (beside ‘’). The U of T now uses electronic pay stubs, so as long as you know your Social Insurance Number and UTORid, you will also be able to find your personnel number here.

The HCSA runs from September 1st to August 31st of any given year. Although expenses must be incurred before the end of the benefit year to be eligible for reimbursement (for example, you must incur your expenses by August 31st, 2011 to claim them through your HCSA for the year 2011-2012 ), there is a grace period of approximately sixty days for submitting claims.

For more information about the HCSA, see the CUPE 3902 website, phone GreenShield directly at 1-888-711-1119, or contact the U of T Benefits Department at <> or 416-978-2598..

Using Your HCSA to Cover Your GSU Health and Dental Insurance Premiums

If you are covered by the GSU health and dental plans, you will have paid about $337.90 in insurance premiums along with your student fees at the beginning of the year. You can use your CUPE 3902 HCSA to recoup this cost. Doing so will not affect your GSU coverage for the rest of the year, but it will guarantee extra money in your pocket! In other words, claiming your GSU coverage through the HCSA is not the same as opting-out.

The same caveat regarding hours worked applies to this claim as to any other claim made to the HCSA.

To claim your GSU premiums through the HCSA:
1. Go to and log in.
2. Under ‘Financial Accounts,’ find your ‘Invoice’ and ‘Detailed Report’  – and print both. You need both because one lists your premiums, and the other lists your student number.
3. Use that information to submit a claim to HCSA.
4. Receive more money!